Friday, 31 May 2013

1 in 10 Landlords and Letting Agents Failing to Carry out Mandatory Gas Safety Checks

According to research carried out by Shelter in conjunction with British Gas, up to one in ten landlords and letting agents could be putting the lives of tenants at risk by failing to carry out the correct mandatory gas safety checks.

After surveying more than 4,000 private tenants in England, it was discovered that one in ten tenants said a check for the boiler to monitor risks of carbon monoxide leaks had not been carried out in over a year. According to the law, a gas safety certificate must be issued annually for each rented property. Such checks are designed to pick up on a range of risks including faulty boilers, gas leaks pilot lights burning the wrong colour, soot or discolouration around boilers and the potential for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Campbell Robb, Shelter's chief executive, commented:

"It's shocking to think that in thousands of households across the country there are accidents waiting to happen because a simple safety check has not taken place. For households with children this is an even bigger concern. Renters have a right to know that the property they are living in is safe."