The survey also revealed that 14 per cent of landlords did not know they had a legal obligation to have their properties checked for gas safety every year.
The news, which comes during Gas Safety Week, shows that many landlords in England are not aware of their obligation to keep properties gas safe. When asked whether their properties had an active gas safety certificate (CP12) and boiler serviced each year, only 90 per cent of landlords confirmed they did, with seven per cent saying ‘most/some/none’ had the relevant certificate and safety checks. This leaves a concerning three per cent unable to confirm if their tenants are protected from carbon monoxide poisoning.
An annual gas safety check and certificate is required by law for rented properties, and is the responsibility of the landlord. Those who fail to meet gas safety regulations in the homes they rent out can face fines and even imprisonment.
Shelter’s chief executive, Campbell Robb said: ‘Renters deserve to know that their homes are not just accidents waiting to happen. Landlords must carry out gas safety checks every year. Failing to do so is not just against the law, it is a danger to peoples’ lives, and that just can’t carry on.’
Shelter and British Gas have joined forces to improve conditions in private rental homes and this Gas Safety Week are calling on landlords to ensure they meet their gas safety responsibilities.
Landlords are reminded to be aware of their obligation to ensure that a gas safety check and record or certificate (CP12) is delivered for each property every year. They are also encouraged to install a CO monitor in all properties to monitor carbon monoxide levels.
Tenants too are encouraged to know their rights and be aware of their landlord’s obligation to carry out gas safety checks. In addition Shelter encourages tenants to look out for signs of staining, soot or discolouration on, or around, their gas boiler, fire or water heater, as these can be signs of carbon monoxide.
British Gas engineer Ben Whitehouse, added: ‘There are many things that tenants can do make sure their home is gas safe. Carbon monoxide is a silent killer and can leak from a range of household appliances. That’s why it’s so important to fit a carbon monoxide alarm.’
Click here to read original article 'A tenth of landlords unable to confirm their tenants are gas safe'