Wednesday, 21 September 2011

Landlords failing tenants over gas safety checks

Landlords are putting their tenants' lives at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning or potential explosions by failing to carry out annual gas safety checks, according to a report from Gas Safe Register.

Landlords are legally required to organise an annual gas safety check to be carried out by a registered Gas Safe engineer, but more than a third (41%) of tenants report that their gas appliances had broken down several times in the past five years, indicating that landlords aren't taking their responsibilities seriously.

Paul Johnston, chief executive of Gas Safe Register, said: "Lack of annual safety checks can create a life threatening situation. Landlords are legally obliged to carry out checks and provide tenants with a gas safety check record to prove the work has been done. There are so many things that can go wrong if appliances aren't functioning properly, including risk of explosion and gas poisoning."

Click here to read the whole story Landlords failing tenants over gas safety checks

Click here for a directory of local plumbing and heating engineers